Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Now listening to: "Antique Glow" by Kelley Stoltz

So, L and I went to go see The Dirtbombs, Dirty Little Heaters and Kelley Stoltz at the Local 506 the week before last. I'd never heard of Kelley Stoltz before, but I ended up being more or less won over by the end of the set. More or less pop music with nice full, interesting arrangements. I wasn't sure if I really needed the record or not, but figured, what the hell, if I'm going to buy it, might as well buy it from the band, so I get the latest record, Circular Sounds, which features cover art highly reminiscent of Captain Beefheart's Safe as Milk album, and the record before that, Antique Glow.

Circular Sounds is alright. It pretty much is what their live show sounds like these days--I like it but I don't know if I'll be compelled to listen to it over and over again. Antique Glow, on the other hand has turned out to be surprisingly great--a nice swampy, folky, hippy freak out thing. I'm really digging it. Liner notes say it was recorded on a Tascam 388, which is probably partly responsible for it sounding so warm and nice.

That's all.

No comments: