Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Jesusonic

So yesterday during my, uhmm, lunch break, I read the coding documentation for Jesusonic, a dynamically compiled audio plugin architecture that is integrated with Reaper. This seriously put my geek jones into high gear.

So last night after bowling I came home, whipped out a text editor, and got to hacking. I didn't come up with anything that hadn't been done before, or, to be honest, wasn't already included with Reaper, but it was very cool to be able to make a code change, hit recompile in Reaper, and hear the results immediately. Really, really cool. And in 30 minutes I had written three plugins. Granted, incredibly basic ones, that do things other plugins already do, but ones that I will use nonetheless. And it was a great, fun, little exercise.

The msdecode and msencode plugins are related to mid-side matrixing--something I do on nearly every session now, as mid-side has become my stereo microphone configuration of choice in the last couple of years.

I do have a couple of ideas for some things that are a bit more original, but first I need to wrap my brain around FFTs before I can do anything with them.

No comments: