Friday, March 21, 2008

Geek4Life

Here's an article from a few years ago about the guy who wrote WinAmp, Gnutella and other stuff like that. I've been dicking around some with his latest creation, Reaper, in the studio. The thing I like about it is I can try the full version for free until I decide that it really is useful to me, and then I can pay for it. Yeah, it's the honor system and some folks will definitely game the system, but on the whole I think it's better karma to not your treat your customers like potential criminals. So far it seems to work pretty well. I'm not ready to abandon Cubase for it, but I'm probably not going to pay Steinberg for another upgrade--I like Cubase's interface, but they're writing some sloppy, buggy code over there and I've gotten pretty tired of it.

No comments: